Monday, September 7, 2009

Hawaiian Luau

At the Grand Court (where I am a resident), there is an annual “Hawaiian Luau” day.

This year, I’m told, it was on a Saturday, to make it easier for families of residents to come.

Timi Neff, our Lifestyles Program Director, told me that it’s done every year for the enjoyment of the residents and their families, and to “celebrate Hawaii”. Reservations for family were required, and those of us who had families coming, got a special “reserved” table. Here’s my table. There were 5 of us, but we were not seated when I took this picture.



(ALL of these pictures can be "enlarged" if you "double-click" on one of them. And, they can be copied with a "right click".)

The Lobby and Dining Rooms were all decorated, and many residents and staff arrived with “Hawaiian dress”. Notice my “Hawaiian shirt”, that’s about 45 sizes too large for me. I didn’t have one, but Judy Roberts suggested I go to “Goodwill”, and buy one. I did, and took the first one I found.

Pictured with me is our son, Jim; Granddaughter Jodi, her son Rylan, and her friend Daniel Kirkwood.



Part of the decorations were two tables, on which were the special “treats”, Hawaiian style.





Pam Trinkle, our Dining Services Director (I think of Dietitian, and Kitchen and Dining Room Boss), gave me the following menu:

Sweet and Sour Chicken
Spanish White Rice
Pulled Pork
Sweet Potato Casserole
Vegetable Medley consisting of:
Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrots, Zucchini and Red Peppers
Fruit Kabob
Cheese Tray
Vegetable Tray
Tiki Bar
White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
Tropical Banana and Pineapple Sundae

Here is how some of the staff were dressed:













And, some of the residents:







There was a nice crowd of family guests, and the Dining Room and hallways were filled.

I have mentioned before, I believe, that there are LOADS of activities provided here, and I can’t possibly participate in all of them. Well, I could, I guess, if I didn’t read 3 or more books a week; piddle with this computer; post on this blog; go to church and Bible Class; read the Bible; pray; visit with my family here, visit family in Indiana, Chicago and Florida, etc.

I am a VERY satisfied customer here at The Grand Court, and I highly recommend this place for folks who are by themselves, and maybe need a little assistance in their daily lives. Assisted Living is provided, when needed, though I am presently among those who are in Independent Living - preparing for possible future Assisted status, if needed, I suppose. Even now, if emergencies occur, I will be cared for. And, I have an Emergency Pendant around my neck 24 hours a day; an Emergency Call Button beside my bed, and one in the shower.

Praise the Lord!

No comments: