Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Mystery

What do you think of when you say, hear or read the word “Mystery”? A novel? A movie? Mystifying event? A Murder story?

Here’s ONE of the Encarta definitions:

Mys·ter·y [místəree]
n (plural mys·ter·ies)

1. puzzling event or situation: an event or situation that is difficult to fully understand or explain

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.


Puzzling? Difficult to fully understand or explain? Sure! Let’s go with that definition for a minute.

“It’s a mystery to me”, we say. What is? Well, anything we can’t seem to understand, or find the reason for.

“Why haven’t the Chicago Cubs won a World Series for over a hundred years?” It’s a mystery. Surely, the “law of averages” would let them win at least ONCE! No………..it’s a mystery.

How can NASA figure out how to send a rocket to the moon (or wherever) thousands of miles into space? “It’s a mystery”, we say. No it’s not - at least to the scientists figuring it out, it‘s not. But, “It’s a mystery to me!”

But, it seems to me that there ARE mysteries that NO ONE can seem to “understand or explain”. Now, it may be that in time, they can be “figured out”. But, meanwhile, “they’re mysteries”.

Now, in thinking of “mysteries”, we need to remember that we are speaking of us “human beings” being unable to explain. There are NO unknown mysteries to God!

Let me give you one - one that caused me to consider this topic for a posting on my “blog”.

When John and Tonya suggested that I open up a “blog”, I had not the slightest idea how to do it. I had only seen some that Molly, Bobby and some families of Missionary friends of ours had written. How to do it myself? Not a clue!

John said that Molly would help me if I needed it. He did give me what could be my “address” - mikemaddex.blogspot.com. I thought that I would just type in that address, and “follow my nose”.

I hadn’t typed very much after “logging in”, before I saw, in big letters on the upper left of the screen: “Grandpa Mike”. What? The phrase wasn’t new to me, since John and Tonya’s kids and grandkids have always called us “Grandpa Mike and Grandma Jean”. As distinguished from “Grandpa Bob and Grandma Charlene”, actually.

But, how did that title get on my supposedly “new” blog? I have no idea, to this day. It’s a “mystery” to me. I didn’t object to it, since I’m very familiar with it, and it DOES describe me.

But…………..”How did it get there?” It’s a “mystery” Maybe I’ll figure it out some day, but for now “It’s a mystery”.

Mysteries are not unknown in the Bible - especially in the New Testament. For example:

I Corinthians 2:7 “…………wisdom of God in a mystery”
I Corinthians 4:1 “………..stewards of the mysteries of God”
Ephesians 6:19 talks about “………the mystery of the gospel.”
Colossians 4:3 speaks of “……….the mystery of Christ.”
I Timothy 3:9 mentions “………the mystery of faith.”

Then, in Ephesians 3:3-6, Paul explains the REAL mystery:
“How that by revelation (God) made known unto me the mystery: (as I wrote afore in few words, whereby, when ye read ye may understand my knowledge in the MYSTERY of Christ)”. (Emphasis added by me.) vs. 6: “That the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, and of the same body, and partakers of His Promise in Christ by the Gospel.”

Now, I'm NOT a Theologian, but this seems very clear: The Gentiles may participate in the Good News of the Gospel, as well as the Jews! That WAS a mystery in the First Century, but NOT NOW! Praise the Lord!

I don’t know how “Grandpa Mike” became my “Blog Title”, but I’m using it just the same, because it fits me.

I don’t know how God could make us Gentiles “fellow-heirs of the Gospel”, and will never know in this life. But, “It fits me.”

Praise the Lord!

No comments: