Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Church Signs

Today, I had to make a trip to another city 10 or 12 miles away, to see how to get to the doctor I must see next week. (Now that's not the subject of this posting, but later, if I get brave enough, I might share my NEED to do that sort of thing. Grin)

Back to my trip out of town.

I find church signs fascinating, and I guess I LOOK for something different on them. This time, after FINALLY finding the doctor's office and starting to return to my adopted town, I saw a church sign out front with an interesting statement: It read, "God is good. Good is normal. Expect good." What is meant by that? You can read into it anything you want, I guess. But, What? The implication, it seems to me, was that, of course, God is good; you can depend on good to be normal; so expect that "good" will always happen. In other words, "trust the good to happen", wherever it comes from.

Surely, I took that wrong, being the "slogan" of a church, but it hit me like a "ton of bricks." Surely they meant: "God is good; and God's good is normal; so, Trust God to make good happen."

But, that's not what I got out of it. Is that too "picky?" I suppose.

Since it's Armistice Day (Oh, excuse me. Showing my age!) , Veterans' Day, this church sign said: "Thank you Veterans". I like that, don't you? Last week, the same church's sign read: "It's never too late to make a new beginning." I like that one, too. One can trust Christ as late as the last minutes of his life. (BUT don't stretch it is my advice.)

Two more that I like: "Let's trust our leaders and trust Jesus Christ for our future." I might have made the emphasis on Jesus first, but it's still good, in my opinion.

Another: "Some see a hopeless end, and others an endless hope." Of all those church signs I saw today, I think this one, and the one about "a new beginning" are my favorites. Our hope in Christ is forever, and we can begin that life ANY TIME! There is never an end to God's Mercy and Grace.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16.

"Whosoever" means YOU, ME and EVERYONE.

Praise the Lord!

No comments: